A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 7203. PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
- ``(a) Program Authority.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary shall make grants, on a competitive basis, to State educational agencies or local educational agencies to pay the Federal share of the cost of innovative model programs providing for the establishment, improvement or expansion of foreign language study for elementary and secondary school students.
- ``(2) Duration.--Each grant under paragraph (1) shall be awarded for a period of three years.
- ``(b) Requirements.--
- ``(1) Grants to state educational agencies.--In awarding a grant under subsection (a) to a State educational agency, the Secretary shall support programs that promote systemic approaches to improving foreign language learning in the State.
- ``(2) Grants to local educational agencies.--In awarding a grant under subsection (a) to a local educational agency, the Secretary shall support programs that--
- ``(A) show the promise of being continued beyond the grant period;
- ``(B) demonstrate approaches that can be disseminated and duplicated in other local educational agencies; and
- ``(C) may include a professional development component.
- ``(c) Federal Share.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Federal share for each fiscal year shall be 50 percent.
- ``(2) Waiver.--The Secretary may waive the requirement of paragraph (1) for any local educational agency which the Secretary determines does not have adequate resources to pay the non-Federal share of the cost of the activities assisted under this part.
- ``(3) Special rule.--Not less than three-fourths of the funds appropriated under section 7206 shall be used for the expansion of foreign language learning in the elementary grades.
- ``(4) Reservation.--The Secretary may reserve not more than 5 percent of funds appropriated under section 7206 to evaluate the efficacy of programs under this part.
SEC. 7202. FINDINGS.
SEC. 7204. APPLICATIONS.