A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 7145. GRADUATE FELLOWSHIPS IN BILINGUAL EDUCATION PROGRAM.
- ``(a) Authorization.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary may award fellowships for masters, doctoral, and post-doctoral study related to instruction of children and youth of limited-English proficiency in such areas as teacher training, program administration, research and evaluation, and curriculum development, and for the support of dissertation research related to such study.
- ``(2) Number.--For fiscal year 1994 not less than 500 fellowships leading to a master's or doctorate degree shall be awarded under this section.
- ``(3) Information.--The Secretary shall include information on the operation and the number of fellowships awarded under the fellowship program in the evaluation required under section 7149.
- ``(b) Fellowship Requirements.--
- ``(1) In general.--Any person receiving a fellowship under this section shall agree to--
- ``(A) work in an activity related to the program or in an activity such as an activity authorized under this part, including work as a bilingual education teacher, for a period of time equivalent to the period of time during which such person receives assistance under this section; or
- ``(B) repay such assistance.
- ``(2) Regulations.--The Secretary shall establish in regulations such terms and conditions for such agreement as the Secretary deems reasonable and necessary and may waive the requirement of paragraph (1) in extraordinary circumstances.
- ``(c) Priority.--In awarding fellowships under this section the Secretary may give priority to institutions of higher education that demonstrate experience in assisting fellowship recipients find employment in the field of bilingual education.
SEC. 7144. BILINGUAL EDUCATION CAREER LADDER PROGRAM.
SEC. 7146. APPLICATION.