A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 7113. PROGRAM ENHANCEMENT PROJECTS.
- ``(a) Purpose.--The purpose of this section is to carry out highly focused, innovative, locally designed projects to expand or enhance existing bilingual education or special alternative instructional programs for limited English proficient students.
- ``(b) Program Authorized.--
- ``(1) Authority.--
- ``(A) The Secretary is authorized to award grants to eligible entities having applications approved under section 7116 to enable such entities to carry out activities described in paragraph (2).
- ``(B) Each grant under this section shall be awarded for a period of two years.
- ``(2) Authorized activities.--
- ``(A) Grants under this section shall be used for providing inservice training to classroom teachers, administrators, and other school or community-based organization personnel to improve the instruction and assessment of language-minority and limited English proficient students.
- ``(B) Grants under this section may be used for--
- ``(i) implementing family education programs and parent outreach and training activities designed to assist parents to become active participants in the education of their children;
- ``(ii) improving the instructional program for limited English proficient students by identifying, acquiring, and upgrading curriculum, instructional materials, educational software and assessment procedures and, if appropriate, applying educational technology;
- ``(iii) compensating personnel, including teacher aides who have been specifically trained, or are being trained, to provide services to children and youth of limited-English proficiency;
- ``(iv) providing tutorials and academic or career counseling for children and youth of limited-English proficiency;
- ``(v) providing intensified instruction; and
- ``(vi) providing such other activities, related to the purposes of this part, as the Secretary may approve.
- ``(c) Eligible Entity.--For the purpose of this section the term `eligible entity' means--
- ``(1) one or more local educational agencies;
- ``(2) one or more local educational agencies in collaboration with an institution of higher education, community-based organization or local or State educational agency; or
- ``(3) a community-based organization or an institution of higher education which has an application approved by the local educational agency to enhance early childhood education or family education programs or to conduct an instructional program which supplements the educational services provided by a local educational agency.
SEC. 7112. PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION GRANTS.
SEC. 7114. COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL GRANTS.