A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 7104. NATIVE AMERICAN AND ALASKA NATIVE CHILDREN IN SCHOOL.
- ``(a) Eligible Entities.--For the purpose of carrying out programs under this part for individuals served by elementary, secondary, and postsecondary schools operated predominately for Native American or Alaska Native children and youth, an Indian tribe, a tribally sanctioned educational authority, a Native Hawaiian or Native American Pacific Islander native language education organization, or an elementary or secondary school that is operated or funded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs shall be considered to be a local educational agency as such term is used in this part, subject to the following qualifications:
- ``(1) Indian tribe.--The term `Indian tribe' means any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaska Native village or regional or village corporation as defined in or established pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.), that is recognized for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians.
- ``(2) Tribally sanctioned educational authority.--The term `tribally sanctioned educational authority' means--
- ``(A) any department or division of education operating within the administrative structure of the duly constituted governing body of an Indian tribe; and
- ``(B) any nonprofit institution or organization that is--
- ``(i) chartered by the governing body of an Indian tribe to operate any such school or otherwise to oversee the delivery of educational services to members of that tribe; and
- ``(ii) approved by the Secretary for the purpose of this section.
- ``(b) Eligible Entity Application.--Notwithstanding any other provision of this part, each eligible entity described in subsection (a) shall submit any application for assistance under this part directly to the Secretary along with timely comments on the need for the proposed program.
SEC. 7103. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
SEC. 7105. RESIDENTS OF THE TERRITORIES AND FREELY ASSOCIATED NATIONS.