A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART C--LOCAL INNOVATIVE EDUCATION PROGRAMS
``SEC. 6301. TARGETED USE OF FUNDS.
- ``(a) General Rule.--Funds made available to local educational agencies under section 6102 shall be used for innovative assistance described in subsection (b).
- ``(b) Innovative Assistance.--The innovative assistance programs referred to in subsection (a) include--
- ``(1) technology related to the implementation of school-based reform programs, including professional development to assist teachers and other school officials regarding how to use effectively such equipment and software;
- ``(2) programs for the acquisition and use of instructional and educational materials, including library services and materials (including media materials), assessments, reference materials, computer software and hardware for instructional use, and other curricular materials which are tied to high academic standards and which will be used to improve student achievement and which are part of an overall education reform program;
- ``(3) promising education reform projects, including effective schools and magnet schools;
- ``(4) programs to improve the higher order thinking skills of disadvantaged elementary and secondary school students and to prevent students from dropping out of school;
- ``(5) programs to combat illiteracy in the student and adult population, including parent illiteracy;
- ``(6) programs to provide for the educational needs of gifted and talented children;
- ``(7) school reform activities that are consistent with the Goals 2000: Educate America Act; and
- ``(8) school improvement programs or activities under sections 1116 and 1117.
SEC. 6202. STATE APPLICATIONS.
SEC. 6302. ADMINISTRATIVE AUTHORITY.