A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 6003. DEFINITION.
- ``For the purposes of this title the term `effective schools programs' means school-based programs that may encompass preschool through secondary school levels and that have the objectives of (1) promoting school-level planning, instructional improvement, and staff development, (2) increasing the academic achievement levels of all children and particularly educationally disadvantaged children, and (3) achieving as ongoing conditions in the school the following factors identified through effective schools research as distinguishing effective from ineffective schools:
- ``(A) Strong and effective administrative and instructional leadership that creates consensus on instructional goals and organizational capacity for instructional problem solving.
- ``(B) Emphasis on the acquisition of basic and higher order skills.
- ``(C) A safe and orderly school environment that allows teachers and pupils to focus their energies on academic achievement.
- ``(D) A climate of expectation that virtually all children can learn under appropriate conditions.
- ``(E) Continuous assessment of students and programs to evaluate the effects of instruction.
SEC. 6002. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS; DURATION OF ASSISTANCE.
PART A--STATE AND LOCAL PROGRAMS