A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``TITLE VI--INNOVATIVE EDUCATION PROGRAM STRATEGIES
``SEC. 6001. FINDINGS AND STATEMENT OF PURPOSE.
- ``(a) Findings.--The Congress finds that chapter 2 of title I of this Act (as such chapter was in effect on the day preceding the date of enactment of the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994) has been successful in achieving the goals of increasing local flexibility, reducing administrative burden, providing services for private school students, encouraging innovation, and contributing to the improvement of elementary and secondary educational programs.
- ``(b) Statement of Purpose.--It is the purpose of programs under this title--
- ``(1) to support local education reform efforts which are consistent with and support statewide reform efforts under Goals 2000: Educate America Act;
- ``(2) to support State and local efforts to accomplish the National Education Goals;
- ``(3) to provide funding to enable State and local educational agencies to implement promising educational reform programs;
- ``(4) to provide a continuing source of innovation, and educational improvement, including support for library services and instructional and media materials; and
- ``(5) to meet the special educational needs of at risk and high cost students.
- ``(c) State and Local Responsibility.--The basic responsibility for the administration of funds made available under this title is within the State educational agencies, but it is the intent of Congress that the responsibility be carried out with a minimum of paperwork and that the responsibility for the design and implementation of programs assisted under this title will be mainly that of local educational agencies, school superintendents and principals, and classroom teachers and supporting personnel, because such agencies and individuals have the most direct contact with students and are most likely to be able to design programs to meet the educational needs of students in their own school districts.
SEC. 5308. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
SEC. 6002. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS; DURATION OF ASSISTANCE.