A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 5111. INNOVATIVE PROGRAMS.
``(c) Applications.--Each local educational agency or consortia of such agencies desiring a grant under this section shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing such information and assurances as the Secretary may reasonably require. ``(d) Innovative Programs.--The Secretary shall reserve not more than 5 percent of the funds appropriated under section 5113(a) for each fiscal year to award grants under this section.
- ``(a) In General.--From amounts reserved under subsection (d) for each fiscal year, the Secretary shall award grants to local educational agencies or consortia of such agencies described in section 5105 to enable such agencies or consortia to conduct innovative programs that--
- ``(1) carry out the purpose of this part; and
- ``(2) involve strategies other than magnet schools, such as neighborhood or community model schools--
- ``(A) organized around a special emphasis, theme or concept; and
- ``(B) involving extensive parent and community involvement.
- ``(b) Applicability.--Sections 5103, 5106, 5107, and 5108, shall not apply to grants awarded under subsection (a).