A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 5108. USE OF FUNDS.
- ``(a) In General.--Grant funds made available under this part may be used by an eligible local educational agency or consortium of such agencies--
- ``(1) for planning and promotional activities directly related to the development, expansion, continuation, or enhancement of academic programs and services offered at magnet schools;
- ``(2) for the acquisition of books, materials, and equipment, including computers and the maintenance and operation thereof, necessary for the conduct of programs in magnet schools;
- ``(3) for the payment, or subsidization of the compensation, of elementary and secondary school teachers who are certified or licensed by the State, and instructional staff where applicable, who are necessary for the conduct of programs in magnet schools; and
- ``(4) with respect to a magnet school program offered to less than the entire student population of a school, for instructional activities that--
- ``(A) are designed to make available the special curriculum that is offered by the magnet school project to students who are enrolled in the school but who are not enrolled in the magnet school program; and
- ``(B) further the purposes of this part.
- ``(b) Special Rule.--Grant funds under this part may be used in accordance with paragraphs (2) and (3) of subsection (a) only if the activities described in such paragraphs are directly related to improving the students' reading skills or knowledge of mathematics, science, history, geography, English, foreign languages, art, or music, or to improving vocational skills.
SEC. 5107. PRIORITY.
SEC. 5109. PROHIBITIONS.