A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 4122. GRANTS TO INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION.
- ``(a) In General.--From funds made available to carry out this subpart under section 4004(2), the Secretary is authorized to make grants to, or enter into contracts with, institutions of higher education, or consortia of such institutions, for drug and violence prevention programs under this section. Awards under this section shall support the development, implementation, validation, and dissemination of--
- ``(1) model programs and strategies to promote the safety of students attending institutions of higher education by preventing violent behavior and the illegal use of alcohol and other drugs by such students; and
- ``(2) such model programs and strategies shall be coordinated with the report required under section 204(a)(4)(B) of the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act on policies, procedures and practices which have proven effective in the reduction of campus crime.
- ``(b) Applications.--An institution of higher education, or consortium of such institutions, that desires to receive an award under this section shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and containing such information as the Secretary may reasonably require. The Secretary shall use a peer review process for reviewing applications for funds under this section.
- ``(c) Equitable Participation.--The Secretary shall make every reasonable effort to ensure the equitable participation in the activities assisted under this section of private and public institutions of higher education (including community and junior colleges), institutions of limited enrollment, and institutions in different geographic regions.