A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 4115. LOCAL APPLICATIONS.
``(b) Contents of Applications.--An application under this section shall contain--
- ``(a) Application Required.--
- ``(1) In general.--In order to be eligible to receive a distribution under section 4113(d) for any fiscal year, a local educational agency shall submit, at such time as the State educational agency requires, an application to the State educational agency for approval. Such an application shall be amended, as necessary, to reflect changes in the local educational agency's program.
- ``(2) Development.--
- ``(A) A local educational agency shall develop its application under subsection (a)(1) in consultation with a local or substate regional advisory council that includes, to the extent possible, representatives of local government, business, parents, students, teachers, pupil services personnel, appropriate State agencies, private schools, the medical profession, law enforcement, community-based organizations, and other groups with interest and expertise in drug and violence prevention.
- ``(B) In addition to assisting the local educational agency to develop an application under this section, the advisory council established or designated under subparagraph (A) shall, on an ongoing basis--
- ``(i) disseminate information about drug and violence prevention programs, projects, and activities conducted within the boundaries of the local educational agency;
- ``(ii) advise the local educational agency regarding--
- ``(I) how best to coordinate such agency's activities under this subpart with other related programs, projects, and activities; and
- ``(II) the agencies that administer such programs, projects, and activities; and
- ``(iii) review program evaluations and other relevant material and make recommendations to the local educational agency on how to improve such agency's drug and violence prevention programs.
``(c) Review of Application.--
- ``(1) an objective analysis of the current use (and consequences of such use) of alcohol, tobacco, and controlled, illegal, addictive or harmful substances as well as the violence, safety, and discipline problems among students who attend the schools of the applicant (including private school students who participate in the applicant's drug and violence prevention program) that is based on ongoing local assessment or evaluation activities;
- ``(2) a detailed explanation of the local educational agency's comprehensive plan for drug and violence prevention, which shall include a description of--
- ``(A) how the plan will be coordinated with programs under this Act, the Goals 2000: Educate America Act, and other Acts, as appropriate, in accordance with the provisions of section 14306;
- ``(B) the local educational agency's measurable goals for drug and violence prevention, and a description of how such agency will assess and publicly report progress toward attaining these goals;
- ``(C) how the local educational agency will use its distribution under this subpart;
- ``(D) how the local educational agency will coordinate such agency's programs and projects with community-wide efforts to achieve such agency's goals for drug and violence prevention; and
- ``(E) how the local educational agency will coordinate such agency's programs and projects with other Federal, State, and local programs for drug-abuse prevention, including health programs; and
- ``(3) such other information and assurances as the State educational agency may reasonably require.
- ``(1) In general.--In reviewing local applications under this section, a State educational agency shall use a peer review process or other methods of assuring the quality of such applications.
- ``(2) Considerations.--
- ``(A) In determining whether to approve the application of a local educational agency under this section, a State educational agency shall consider the quality of the local educational agency's comprehensive plan under subsection (b)(2) and the extent to which such plan is coordinated with programs under this Act, the Goals 2000: Educate America Act, in accordance with the provisions of section 14306.
- ``(B) A State educational agency may disapprove a local educational agency application under this section in whole or in part and may withhold, limit, or place restrictions on the use of funds allotted to such a local educational agency in a manner the State educational agency determines will best promote the purposes of this part, except that a local educational agency shall be afforded an opportunity to appeal any such disapproval.