A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 405. PERFORMANCE OF DUTIES.
- (a) Grants, Contracts, and Cooperative Agreements.--
- (1) In general.--In carrying out the Commissioner's duties under this title, the Commissioner may award grants, and enter into contracts and cooperative agreements.
- (2) Duration.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements under this section may be awarded, on a competitive basis, for a period of not more than five years, and may be renewed at the discretion of the Commissioner for an additional period of not more than five years.
- (b) Gathering Information.--
- (1) Sampling.--The Commissioner may use the statistical method known as sampling to carry out the purpose of this title.
- (2) Source of information.--The Commissioner may, as the Commissioner considers appropriate, use information collected--
- (A) from States, local educational agencies, public and private schools, preschools, institutions of higher education, libraries, administrators, teachers, students, the general public, and such other individuals, organizations, agencies, and institutions as the Commissioner may consider appropriate; and
- (B) by other offices within the Department and by other Federal departments, agencies, and instrumentalities.
- (3) Collection.--The Commissioner may--
- (A) enter into interagency agreements for the collection of statistics;
- (B) arrange with any agency, organization, or institution for the collection of statistics; and
- (C) assign employees of the Center to any such agency, organization, or institution to assist in such collection.
- (4) Technical assistance and coordination.--In order to maximize the effectiveness of Federal efforts to serve the educational needs of children and youth, the Commissioner shall--
- (A) provide technical assistance to Department offices that gather data for statistical purposes; and
- (B) coordinate closely with other Department offices in the collection of data.
SEC. 404. DUTIES OF THE CENTER.
SEC. 406. REPORTS.