A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 402. FINDINGS; PURPOSE; DEFINITIONS.
- (a) Findings.--The Congress finds that--
- (1) a Department of Education was established in 1867 ``for the purpose of collecting such statistics and facts as shall show the condition and progress of education in the several States and territories, and of diffusing such information respecting the organization and management of schools and school systems and methods of teaching as shall aid the people of the United States in the establishment and maintenance of efficient school systems, and otherwise promote the cause of education throughout the United States'';
- (2) today, while the role of the current Department of Education is much broader, the National Center for Education Statistics within the Office of Educational Research and Improvement continues to perform those crucial original purposes; and
- (3) looking to the 21st century, the National Center for Education Statistics must be able to design and undertake, effectively and efficiently, statistical activities that will aid in the reform of the Nation's educational systems.
- (b) Purpose.--It is the purpose of this title to ensure the continuation of an effective mechanism for collecting and reporting statistics and information showing the condition and progress of education in the United States and other nations in order to promote and accelerate the improvement of American education.
- (c) Definitions.--For the purpose of this title and unless otherwise specified--
- (1) the term ``Assistant Secretary'' means the Assistant Secretary for Educational Research and Improvement established under section 202(b)(1)(E) of the Department of Education Organization Act;
- (2) the term ``Department'' means the Department of Education;
- (3) the term ``institution of higher education'' has the same meaning given such term in section 1201(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965;
- (4) the term ``local educational agency'' has the same meaning given such term in section 14101 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965;
- (5) the term ``Secretary'' means the Secretary of Education;
- (6) the term ``State educational agency'' has the same meaning given such term in section 14101 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965; and
- (7) the terms ``State'' and ``United States''--
- (A) other than for the purpose of section 411, mean each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; and
- (B) for the purpose of section 411, have the same meaning given such terms in subparagraph (A), except that such terms include Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and Palau.
TITLE IV--NATIONAL EDUCATION STATISTICS
SEC. 403. NATIONAL CENTER FOR EDUCATION STATISTICS.