A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 4003. PURPOSE.
- ``The purpose of this title is to support programs to meet the seventh National Education Goal by preventing violence in and around schools and by strengthening programs that prevent the illegal use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs, involve parents, and are coordinated with related Federal, State, and community efforts and resources, through the provision of Federal assistance to--
- ``(1) States for grants to local educational agencies and educational service agencies and consortia of such agencies to establish, operate, and improve local programs of school drug and violence prevention, early intervention, rehabilitation referral, and education in elementary and secondary schools (including intermediate and junior high schools);
- ``(2) States for grants to, and contracts with, community-based organizations and other public and private nonprofit agencies and organizations for programs of drug and violence prevention, early intervention, rehabilitation referral, and education;
- ``(3) States for development, training, technical assistance, and coordination activities;
- ``(4) public and private nonprofit organizations to conduct training, demonstrations, and evaluation, and to provide supplementary services for the prevention of drug use and violence among students and youth; and
- ``(5) institutions of higher education to establish, operate, expand, and improve programs of school drug and violence prevention, education, and rehabilitation referral for students enrolled in colleges and universities.
SEC. 4002. FINDINGS.
SEC. 4004. FUNDING.