A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 3507. PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS.
- ``(a) Coordination.--Each State educational agency receiving an allotment under this part shall--
- ``(1) disseminate information to school districts and schools, including private nonprofit elementary schools, regarding the program assisted under this part;
- ``(2) evaluate applications of local educational agencies;
- ``(3) award grants to local educational agencies based on the priorities described in section 3506(c); and
- ``(4) evaluate local educational agencies' end-of-year summaries and submit such evaluation to the Secretary.
- ``(b) Limitations on Use of Funds.--
- ``(1) In general.--Except as provided in paragraph (2), grant funds and matching funds under this part only shall be used to purchase science equipment, science materials, or mathematical manipulative materials and shall not be used for computers, computer peripherals, software, textbooks, or staff development costs.
- ``(2) Capital improvements.--Grant funds under this part may not be used for capital improvements. Not more than 50 percent of any matching funds provided by the local educational agency may be used for capital improvements of classroom science facilities to support the hands-on instruction that this part is intended to support, such as the installation of electrical outlets, plumbing, lab tables or counters, or ventilation mechanisms.
SEC. 3506. LOCAL APPLICATION.
SEC. 3508. FEDERAL ADMINISTRATION.