A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 3505. STATE APPLICATION.
- ``(a) Application.--Each State educational agency desiring to receive an allotment under this part shall file an application with the Secretary which covers a period of 5 fiscal years. Such application shall be filed at such time, in such manner, and containing or accompanied by such information as the Secretary may reasonably require.
- ``(b) Contents of Application.--Each application described in subsection (a) shall--
- ``(1) provide assurances that--
- ``(A) the State educational agency shall use the allotment provided under this part to award grants to local educational agencies within the State to enable such local educational agencies to provide assistance to schools served by such agency to carry out the purpose of this part;
- ``(B) the State educational agency will provide such fiscal control and funds accounting as the Secretary may require;
- ``(C) every public elementary school in the State is eligible to receive assistance under this part once over the 5-year duration of the program assisted under this part;
- ``(D) funds provided under this part will supplement, not supplant, State and local funds made available for activities authorized under this part;
- ``(E) during the 5-year period described in the application, the State educational agency will evaluate its standards and programs for teacher preparation and inservice professional development for elementary mathematics and science;
- ``(F) the State educational agency will take into account the needs for greater access to and participation in mathematics and science by students and teachers from historically underrepresented groups, including females, minorities, individuals with limited English proficiency, the economically disadvantaged, and individuals with disabilities; and
- ``(G) that the needs of teachers and students in areas with high concentrations of low-income students and sparsely populated areas will be given priority in awarding assistance under this part;
- ``(2) provide, if appropriate, a description of how funds paid under this part will be coordinated with State and local funds and other Federal resources, particularly with respect to programs for the professional development and inservice training of elementary school teachers in science and mathematics; and
- ``(3) describe procedures--
- ``(A) for submitting applications for programs described in section 3506 for distribution of assistance under this part within the State; and
- ``(B) for approval of applications by the State educational agency, including appropriate procedures to assure that such agency will not disapprove an application without notice and opportunity for a hearing.
- ``(c) State Administration.--Not more than 5 percent of the funds allotted to each State educational agency under this part shall be used for the administrative costs of such agency associated with carrying out the program assisted under this part.