A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 3302. EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING.
- ``(a) Awards.--The Secretary shall award grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements to eligible entities to--
- ``(1) facilitate the development directly or through contracts with producers of children and family educational television programming, educational programming for preschool and elementary school children, and accompanying support materials and services that promote the effective use of such programming; and
- ``(2) enable such entities to contract with entities (such as public telecommunications entities and those funded under the Star Schools Act) so that programs developed under this section are disseminated and distributed to the widest possible audience appropriate to be served by the programming by the most appropriate distribution technologies.
- ``(b) Eligible Entities.--To be eligible to receive a grant, contract, or cooperative agreement under subsection (a), an entity shall be--
- ``(1) a nonprofit entity (including a public telecommunications entity) able to demonstrate a capacity for the development and distribution of educational and instructional television programming of high quality for preschool and elementary school children; and
- ``(2) able to demonstrate a capacity to contract with the producers of children's television programming for the purpose of developing educational television programming of high quality for preschool and elementary school children.
- ``(c) Cultural Experiences.--Programming developed under this section shall reflect the recognition of diverse cultural experiences and the needs and experiences of both boys and girls in engaging and preparing young children for schooling.
PART C--READY-TO-LEARN TELEVISION
SEC. 3303. DUTIES OF SECRETARY.