A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
SEC. 322. ADULT EDUCATION FOR THE HOMELESS.
Subtitle A of title VII of the Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11421 et seq.) is amended to read as follows:
``Subtitle A--Adult Education for the Homeless
``SEC. 701. STATE LITERACY INITIATIVES.
- ``(a) General Authority.--
- ``(1) Grants.--The Secretary of Education is authorized to make grants to State educational agencies to enable each such agency to implement, either directly or through contracts and grants, a program of literacy training and academic remediation for adult homeless individuals within the State, which program shall--
- ``(A) include outreach activities; and
- ``(B) be coordinated with other agencies or organizations, such as community-based organizations, nonprofit literacy-action organizations, and recipients of funds under the Adult Education Act, title II of the Job Training Partnership Act, the Youth Fair Chance program under part H of title IV of the Job Training Partnership Act, the Volunteers in Service to America program under part A of title I of the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, part C of this title, or the Job Opportunity and Basic Skills program under part F of title IV of the Social Security Act.
- ``(2) Estimates and amounts.--The Secretary of Education, in awarding grants under this section, shall give special consideration to the estimates submitted in the application submitted under subsection (b) and make such awards in whatever amounts such Secretary determines will best serve the purposes of this section.
- ``(b) Application.--Each State educational agency desiring to receive a grant under this section shall submit to the Secretary ofEducation an application at such time, in such manner, and containing such information as the Secretary may reasonably require. Each such application shall include an estimate of the number of homeless individuals in the State and the number of such individuals expected to be served.
- ``(c) Authorization of Appropriations.--For the purpose of carrying out the adult literacy training and academic remediation programs authorized by this section, there are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary for each of the fiscal years 1995 through 1999.
- ``(d) Definition.--As used in this section, the term `State' means each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and Palau (until the effective date of the Compact of Free Association with the Government of Palau).''.
TITLE III--AMENDMENTS TO OTHER ACTS
SEC. 323. EDUCATION FOR HOMELESS CHILDREN AND YOUTH.