A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 3210. OTHER ASSISTANCE.
- ``(a) Special Statewide Network.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary, through the Office of Educational Technology, may provide assistance to a statewide telecommunications network under this subsection if such network--
- ``(A) provides 2-way full motion interactive video and audio communications;
- ``(B) links together public colleges and universities and secondary schools throughout the State; and
- ``(C) meets any other requirements determined appropriate by the Secretary.
- ``(2) State contribution.--A statewide telecommunications network assisted under paragraph (1) shall contribute, either directly or through private contributions, non-Federal funds equal to not less than 50 percent of the cost of such network.
- ``(b) Special Local Network.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary may provide assistance, on a competitive basis, to a local educational agency or consortium thereof to enable such agency or consortium to establish a high technology demonstration program.
- ``(2) Program requirements.--A high technology demonstration program assisted under paragraph (1) shall--
- ``(A) include 2-way full motion interactive video, audio and text communications;
- ``(B) link together elementary and secondary schools, colleges, and universities;
- ``(C) provide parent participation and family programs;
- ``(D) include a staff development program; and
- ``(E) have a significant contribution and participation from business and industry.
- ``(3) Special rule.--Each high technology demonstration program assisted under paragraph (1) shall be of sufficient size and scope to have an effect on meeting the National Education Goals.
- ``(4) Matching requirement.--A local educational agency or consortium receiving a grant under paragraph (1) shall provide, either directly or through private contributions, non-Federal matching funds equal to not less than 50 percent of the amount of the grant.
- ``(c) Telecommunications Programs for Continuing Education.--
- ``(1) Authority.--The Secretary is authorized to award grants, on a competitive basis, to eligible entities to enable such partnerships to develop and operate one or more programs which provide on-line access to educational resources in support of continuing education and curriculum requirements relevant to achieving a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent. The program authorized by this section shall be designed to advance adult literacy, secondary school completion and the acquisition of specified competency by the end of the 12th grade, as envisioned by the Goals 2000: Educate America Act.
- ``(2) Application.--Each eligible entity desiring a grant under this section shall submit an application to the Secretary. Each such application shall--
- ``(A) demonstrate that the applicant will use publicly funded or free public telecommunications infrastructure to deliver video, voice and data in an integrated service to support and assist in the acquisition of a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
- ``(B) assure that the content of the materials to be delivered is consistent with the accreditation requirements of the State for which such materials are used;
- ``(C) incorporate, to the extent feasible, materials developed in the Federal departments and agencies and under appropriate federally funded projects and programs;
- ``(D) assure that the applicant has the technological and substantive experience to carry out the program; and
- ``(E) contain such additional assurances as the Secretary may reasonably require.