A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 3205. ELIGIBLE ENTITIES.
- ``(a) Eligible Entities.--
- ``(1) Required participation.--The Secretary may make a grant under section 3204 to any eligible entity, if at least one local educational agency is participating in the proposed project.
- ``(2) Eligible entity.--For the purpose of this part, the term `eligible entity' may include--
- ``(A) a public agency or corporation established for the purpose of developing and operating telecommunications networks to enhance educational opportunities provided by educational institutions, teacher training centers, and other entities, except that any such agency or corporation shall represent the interests of elementary and secondary schools that are eligible to participate in the program under part A of title I; or
- ``(B) a partnership that will provide telecommunications services and which includes 3 or more of the following entities, at least 1 of which shall be an agency described in clause (i) or (ii):
- ``(i) a local educational agency that serves a significant number of elementary and secondary schools that are eligible for assistance under part A of title I, or elementary and secondary schools operated or funded for Indian children by the Department of the Interior eligible under section 1121(b)(2);
- ``(ii) a State educational agency;
- ``(iii) adult and family education programs;
- ``(iv) an institution of higher education or a State higher education agency;
- ``(v) a teacher training center or academy that--
- ``(I) provides teacher pre-service and in-service training; and
- ``(II) receives Federal financial assistance or has been approved by a State agency;
- ``(I) a public or private entity with experience and expertise in the planning and operation of a telecommunications network, including entities involved in telecommunications through satellite, cable, telephone, or computer; or
- ``(II) a public broadcasting entity with such experience; or
- ``(vii) a public or private elementary or secondary school.
- ``(b) Special Rule.--An eligible entity receiving assistance under this part shall be organized on a statewide or multistate basis.