A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 3136. NATIONAL CHALLENGE GRANTS FOR TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION.
- ``(a) Grants Authorized.--
- ``(1) In general.--From amounts made available under section 3115(b)(1) for any fiscal year the Secretary is authorized to award grants, on a competitive basis, to consortia having applications approved under subsection (d), which consortia shall include at least one local educational agency with a high percentage or number of children living below the poverty line and may include other local educational agencies, State educational agencies, institutions of higher education, businesses, academic content experts, software designers, museums, libraries, or other appropriate entities.
- ``(2) Duration.--Grants under this section shall be awarded for a period of 5 years.
- ``(b) Use of Grants.--Grants awarded under subsection (a) shall be used for activities similar to the activities described in section 3134.
- ``(c) Priority.--In awarding grants under this section, the Secretary shall give priority to consortia which demonstrate in the application submitted under subsection (d) that--
- ``(1) the project for which assistance is sought is designed to serve areas with a high number or percentage of disadvantaged students or the greatest need for educational technology;
- ``(2) the project will directly benefit students by, for example, integrating the acquired technologies into curriculum to help the local educational agency enhance teaching, training, and student achievement;
- ``(3) the project will ensure ongoing, sustained professional development for teachers, administrators, and school library media personnel served by the local educational agency to further the use of technology in the classroom or library media center;
- ``(4) the project will ensure successful, effective, and sustainable use of technologies acquired under this subsection; and
- ``(5) members of the consortia or other appropriate entities will contribute substantial financial and other resources to achieve the goals of the project.
- ``(d) Application.--Each local educational agency desiring a grant under this section shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and accompanied by such information as the Secretary may reasonably require.