A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 2303. GRANTS.
- ``(a) Authority.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary shall award grants for planning, and grants for the implementation of, professional development programs under this part.
- ``(2) Distribution.--The Secretary shall award not less than 75 percent of the funds available for grants under this part to eligible partnerships serving the schools with the greatest number of poor students. To the extent possible, such grants shall be awarded to eligible partnerships serving both rural and urban school districts and in a manner that reflects geographic and racial diversity.
- ``(3) Number of grants.--In the first year that the Secretary awards grants under this part, the Secretary shall award at least twice as many planning grants as implementation grants in order to receive well-developed plans for long-term funding under this part.
- ``(b) Grant Requirements.--
- ``(1) Duration.--The Secretary shall award--
- ``(A) planning grants under this part for a period of not less than six months and not more than nine months; and
- ``(B) implementation grants under this part for a period of four fiscal years.
- ``(2) Amount.--The Secretary shall award grants under this part in an amount determined on the basis of the size of the program and the level of investment the eligible partnership is making in teacher development in the area served by the eligible partnership, including local, State, and Federal funds and existing higher education resources, except that no grant under this part shall exceed $500,000 in any one fiscal year.
SEC. 2302. DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
SEC. 2304. PLAN.