A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART C--PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
``SEC. 2301. FINDINGS AND PURPOSE.
- ``(a) Findings.--The Congress finds that--
- ``(1) underlying the standards-driven framework of the Goals 2000: Educate America Act and the high academic standards for eligible students under title I is a widespread need to prepare teachers to teach to higher standards;
- ``(2) prospective and current teachers need knowledge and skills beyond what such teachers currently possess;
- ``(3) while both the Goals 2000: Educate America Act and titles I and II of this Act have extensive references to professional development of teachers, there are no provisions to incorporate `on-the-ground' planning and implementation to serve as models for local educational agencies across the Nation; and
- ``(4) better prepared teachers can lead to improved student achievement, especially for students who are furthest from reaching high standards.
- ``(b) Purpose.--It is the purpose of this part--
- ``(1) to address the need for professional development with a primary focus on teachers;
- ``(2) to provide both prospective teachers and current teachers opportunities to learn both the content and the pedagogy needed to teach to high standards; and
- ``(3) to build models, in a few cities and States, that demonstrate new organizational arrangements and deep investments in teachers necessary to better prepare teachers for new standards and assessments.
SEC. 2211. HIGHER EDUCATION ACTIVITIES.
SEC. 2302. DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.