A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 2211. HIGHER EDUCATION ACTIVITIES.
- ``(a) Activities.--
- ``(1) In general.--From amounts made available under section 2203(2), the State agency for higher education, working in conjunction with the State educational agency (if such agencies are separate), shall make grants to, or enter into contracts or cooperative agreements with, institutions of higher education and nonprofit organizations of demonstrated effectiveness, including museums and educational partnership organizations, which must work in conjunction with a local educational agency, consortium of local educational agencies, or schools, for--
- ``(A) professional development activities in the core academic subjects that contribute to the State plan for professional development;
- ``(B) developing and providing assistance to local educational agencies, and the teachers and staff of each such agency, for sustained, high-quality professional development activities; and
- ``(C) improving teacher education programs in order to promote further innovation in teacher education programs within an institution of higher education and to better meet the needs of the local educational agencies for well-prepared teachers.
- ``(2) Competitive basis.--Each grant, contract, or cooperative agreement described in paragraph (1) shall be awarded on a competitive basis.
- ``(3) Special rule.--No institution of higher education may receive assistance under (a)(1) of this subsection unless the institution enters into an agreement with a local educational agency, or consortium of such agencies, to provide sustained, high-quality professional development for the elementary and secondary school teachers in the schools of each such agency.
- ``(4) Joint efforts.--Each activity assisted under this section, where applicable, shall involve the joint effort of the institution of higher education's school or department of education, if any, and the schools or departments in the specific disciplines in which such professional development will be provided.
- ``(b) Allowable Activities.--A recipient of funds under this section shall use such funds for--
- ``(1) sustained and intensive high-quality professional development for teams of teachers, or teachers, and, where appropriate, pupil services personnel and administrators from individual schools or school districts;
- ``(2) other sustained and intensive professional development activities related to achievement of the State plan for professional development; and
- ``(3) preservice training activities.
- ``(c) Partnerships.--Each institution of higher education receiving a grant under this section may also enter into a partnership with a private industry, museum, library, educational television station, or public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated experience to carry out professional development activities assisted under this section.
SEC. 2210. LOCAL ALLOCATION OF FUNDS AND ALLOWABLE ACTIVITIES.
PART C--PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DEMONSTRATION PROJECT