A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 2208. LOCAL PLAN AND APPLICATION FOR IMPROVING TEACHING AND LEARNING.
- ``(a) Local Application.--
- ``(1) In general.--Each local educational agency that wishes to receive a subgrant under this part shall submit an application (singly or as a consortium as described in section 2204) to the State educational agency at such time as the State educational agency shall require, but not less frequently than every three years, that is coordinated with other programs under this Act, the Goals 2000: Educate America Act, or other Acts, as appropriate, consistent with the provisions of section 14306.
- ``(2) Indicators.--A local educational agency shall set specific performance indicators for improving teaching and learning through professional development.
- ``(b) Needs Assessment.--
- ``(1) In general.--A local educational agency that wishes to receive a subgrant under this part shall include in its application an assessment of local needs for professional development as identified by the local educational agency and school staff.
- ``(2) Requirements.--Such needs assessment shall be carried out with the involvement of teachers, including teachers in schools receiving assistance under part A of title I, and shall take into account what activities need to be conducted in order to give teachers and, where appropriate, administrators, the means, including the knowledge and skills, to provide students with the opportunity to meet challenging State or local student performance standards.
- ``(c) Application Contents.--Each application under this section shall include the local educational agency's plan for professional development that--
- ``(1) focuses on teaching and learning in the core academic subjects; and
- ``(2) has been developed with the extensive participation of administrators, staff, and pupil services personnel, which teachers shall also be representative of the grade spans within schools to be served and of schools which receive assistance under part A of title I.
- ``(d) Plan Contents.--
- ``(1) In general.--Based on the needs assessment required under subsection (b), the local educational agency's plan shall--
- ``(A) include a description of how the plan contributes to the local educational agency's overall efforts for school reform and educational improvement;
- ``(B) include a description of how the activities funded under this section will address the needs of teachers in schools receiving assistance under part A of title I;
- ``(C) be aligned with the State's challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards;
- ``(D) describe a strategy, tied to challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards, consistent with the needs assessment under subsection (b);
- ``(E) be of sufficient intensity and duration to have a positive and lasting impact on the student's performance in the classroom;
- ``(F) describe how programs in all core academic subjects, but especially in mathematics and science, will take into account the need for greater access to, and participation in, such disciplines by students from historically underrepresented groups, including girls and women, minorities, individuals with limited English proficiency, the economically disadvantaged, and individuals with disabilities, by incorporating pedagogical strategies and techniques which meet such individuals' educational need;
- ``(G) contain an assurance that the activities conducted with funds received under this part will be assessed at least every three years using the performance indicators;
- ``(H) describe how the program funded under this part will be coordinated, as appropriate, with--
- ``(i) activities conducted under section 2131 and other services of institutions of higher education;
- ``(ii) similar State and local activities;
- ``(iii) resources provided under part A of title I and other provisions of this Act;
- ``(iv) resources from business, industry, public and private nonprofit organizations (including museums, libraries, educational television stations, community-based organizations, professional organizations and associations specializing in, or with a demonstrated expertise in the core academic subjects);
- ``(v) funds or programming from other Federal agencies, such as the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Institute of Museum Services, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the National Endowment for the Arts;
- ``(vi) services of educational service agencies; and
- ``(vii) resources provided under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
- ``(I) identify the sources of funding that will provide the local educational agency's contribution under section 2209; and
- ``(J) describe the professional development strategies to be employed to more fully and effectively involve parents in the education of their children.
- ``(2) Duration of the plan.--Each local plan described in subsection (b)(1) shall--
- ``(A) remain in effect for the duration of the local educational agency's participation under this part; and
- ``(B) be periodically reviewed and revised by the local educational agency, as necessary, to reflect changes in the local educational agency's strategies and programs under this part.
SEC. 2207. STATE-LEVEL ACTIVITIES.
SEC. 2209. LOCAL COST-SHARING.