A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 2002. PURPOSES.
``The purposes of this title are to provide assistance to State and local educational agencies and to institutions of higher education with teacher education programs so that such agencies and institutions can determine how best to improve the teaching and learning of all students by--
- ``(1) helping to ensure that teachers, and, where appropriate, other staff and administrators, have access to sustained and intensive high-quality professional development that is aligned to challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards, and to support the development and implementation of sustained and intensive high-quality professional development activities in the core academic subjects; and
- ``(2) helping to ensure that teachers, and, where appropriate, administrators, other staff, pupil services personnel, and parents, have access to professional development that--
- ``(A) is tied to challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards;
- ``(B) reflects recent research on teaching and learning;
- ``(C) includes strong academic content and pedagogical components;
- ``(D) incorporates effective strategies, techniques, methods, and practices for meeting the educational needs of diverse student populations, including females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, limited-English-proficient individuals, and economically disadvantaged individuals, in order to ensure that all students have the opportunity to achieve challenging State student performance standards;
- ``(E) is of sufficient intensity and duration to have a positive and lasting impact on the teacher's performance in the classroom; and
- ``(F) is part of the everyday life of the school and creates an orientation toward continuous improvement throughout the school.
TITLE II--DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
SEC. 2003. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS; ALLOCATION BETWEEN PARTS.