A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 1603. STATE ADMINISTRATION.
- ``(a) Rulemaking.--
- ``(1) In general.--Each State that receives funds under this title shall--
- ``(A) ensure that any State rules, regulations, and policies relating to this title conform to the purposes of this title and provide any such proposed rules, regulations, and policies to the committee of practitioners under subsection (b) for their review and comment;
- ``(B) minimize such rules, regulations, and policies to which their local educational agencies and schools are subject; and
- ``(C) identify any such rule, regulation, or policy as a State-imposed requirement.
- ``(2) Support and facilitation.--State rules, regulations, and policies under this title shall support and facilitate local educational agency and school-level systemic reform designed to enable all children to meet the challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards.
- ``(b) Committee of Practitioners.--
- ``(1) In general.--Each State educational agency shall create a State committee of practitioners to advise the State in carrying out its responsibilities under this title.
- ``(2) Membership.--Each such committee shall include--
- ``(A) as a majority of its members, representatives from local educational agencies;
- ``(B) administrators;
- ``(C) teachers, including vocational educators;
- ``(D) parents;
- ``(E) members of local boards of education;
- ``(F) representatives of private school children; and
- ``(G) pupil services personnel.
- ``(3) Duties.--The duties of such committee shall include a review, prior to publication, of any proposed or final State rule or regulation pursuant to this title. In an emergency situation where such rule or regulation must be issued within a very limited time to assist local educational agencies with the operation of the program under this title, the State educational agency may issue a regulation without prior consultation, but shall immediately thereafter convene the State committee of practitioners to review the emergency regulation prior to issuance in final form.
- ``(c) Payment for State Administration.--Each State may reserve for the proper and efficient performance of its duties under this title the greater of--
- ``(1) 1.00 percent of the funds received under subsections (a), (c), and (d) of section 1002; or
- ``(2) $400,000, or $50,000 in the case of the outlying areas.
SEC. 1602. COORDINATION OF FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL ADMINISTRATION.
SEC. 1604. CONSTRUCTION.