A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART F--GENERAL PROVISIONS
``SEC. 1601. FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
- ``(a) In General.--The Secretary is authorized to issue such regulations as are necessary to reasonably ensure that there is compliance with this title.
- ``(b) Negotiated Rulemaking Process.--
- ``(1) In general.--Prior to publishing in the Federal Register proposed regulations to carry out this title, the Secretary shall obtain the advice and recommendations of representatives of Federal, State, and local administrators, parents, teachers, and members of local boards of education involved with the implementation and operation of programs under this title.
- ``(2) Meetings and electronic exchange.--Such advice and recommendation may be obtained through such mechanisms as regional meetings and electronic exchanges of information.
- ``(3) Proposed regulations.--After obtaining such advice and recommendations, and prior to publishing proposed regulations, the Secretary shall--
- ``(A) establish a negotiated rulemaking process on a minimum of two key issues, including--
- ``(i) schoolwide programs; and
- ``(ii) standards and assessment;
- ``(B) select individuals to participate in such process from among individuals or groups which provided advice and recommendations, including representation from all geographic regions of the United States; and
- ``(C) prepare a draft of proposed policy options that shall be provided to the individuals selected by the Secretary under subparagraph (A) not less than 15 days prior to the first meeting under such process.
- ``(4) Process.--Such process--
- ``(A) shall be conducted in a timely manner to ensure that final regulations are issued by the Secretary not later than July 1, 1995; and
- ``(B) shall not be subject to the Federal Advisory Committee Act but shall otherwise follow the provisions of the Negotiated Rulemaking Act of 1990 (5 U.S.C. 561 et seq.).
- ``(5) Emergency situation.--In an emergency situation in which regulations to carry out this title must be issued with a very limited time to assist State and local educational agencies with the operation of a program under this title, the Secretary may issue proposed regulations without following such process but shall, immediately thereafter and prior to issuing final regulations, conduct regional meetings to review such proposed regulations.
- ``(c) Limitation.--Regulations to carry out this part may not require local programs to follow a particular instructional model, such as the provision of services outside the regular classroom or school program.
SEC. 1503. INNOVATIVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TRANSITION PROJECTS.
SEC. 1602. COORDINATION OF FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL ADMINISTRATION.