A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 14503. PARTICIPATION BY PRIVATE SCHOOL CHILDREN AND TEACHERS.
- ``(a) Private School Participation.--
- ``(1) In general.--Except as otherwise provided in this Act, to the extent consistent with the number of eligible children in a State educational agency, local educational agency, or educational service agency or consortium of such agencies receiving financial assistance under a program specified in subsection (b), who are enrolled in private elementary and secondary schools in such agency or consortium, such agency or consortium shall, after timely and meaningful consultation with appropriate private school officials, provide such children and their teachers or other educational personnel, on an equitable basis, special educational services or other benefits under such program.
- ``(2) Secular, neutral, and nonideological services or benefits.--Educational services or other benefits, including materials and equipment, provided under this section, shall be secular, neutral, and nonideological.
- ``(3) Special rule.--Educational services and other benefits provided under this section for such private school children, teachers, and other educational personnel shall be equitable in comparison to services and other benefits for public school children, teachers, and other educational personnel participating in such program.
- ``(4) Expenditures.--Expenditures for educational services and other benefits provided under this section to eligible private school children, their teachers, and other educational personnel serving such children shall be equal, taking into account the number and educational needs of the children to be served, to the expenditures for participating public school children.
- ``(5) Provision of services.--Such agency or consortium described in subsection (a)(1) may provide such services directly or through contracts with public and private agencies, organizations, and institutions.
- ``(b) Applicability.--
- ``(1) In general.--This section applies to programs under--
- ``(A) part C of title I (migrant education);
- ``(B) title II (other than section 2103 and part C of such title);
- ``(C) title VII;
- ``(D) title III (other than part B of such title) (Star Schools); and
- ``(E) part A of title IV (other than section 4114).
- ``(2) Definition.--For the purposes of this section, the term `eligible children' means children eligible for services under a program described in paragraph (1).
- ``(c) Consultation.--
- ``(1) In general.--To ensure timely and meaningful consultation, a State educational agency, local educational agency, educational service agency or consortium of such agencies shall consult with appropriate private school officials during the design and development of the programs under this Act, on issues such as--
- ``(A) how the children's needs will be identified;
- ``(B) what services will be offered;
- ``(C) how and where the services will be provided; and
- ``(D) how the services will be assessed.
- ``(2) Timing.--Such consultation shall occur before the agency or consortium makes any decision that affects the opportunities of eligible private school children, teachers, and other educational personnel to participate in programs under this Act.
- ``(3) Discussion required.--Such consultation shall include a discussion of service delivery mechanisms that the agency or consortium could use to provide equitable services to eligible private school children, teachers, administrators, and other staff.
- ``(d) Public Control of Funds.--
- ``(1) In general.--The control of funds used to provide services under this section, and title to materials, equipment, and property purchased with such funds, shall be in a public agency for the uses and purposes provided in this Act, and a public agency shall administer such funds and property.
- ``(2) Provision of services.--
- ``(A) The provision of services under this section shall be provided--
- ``(i) by employees of a public agency; or
- ``(ii) through contract by such public agency with an individual, association, agency, or organization.
- ``(B) In the provision of such services, such employee, person, association, agency, or organization shall be independent of such private school and of any religious organization, and such employment or contract shall be under the control and supervision of such public agency.
- ``(C) Funds used to provide services under this section shall not be commingled with non-Federal funds.
SEC. 14502. PROHIBITION REGARDING STATE AID.
SEC. 14504. STANDARDS FOR BY-PASS.