A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART E--UNIFORM PROVISIONS
``SEC. 14501. MAINTENANCE OF EFFORT.
- ``(a) In General.--A local educational agency may receive funds under a covered program for any fiscal year only if the State educational agency finds that either the combined fiscal effort per student or the aggregate expenditures of such agency and the State with respect to the provision of free public education by such agency for the preceding fiscal year was not less than 90 percent of such combined fiscal effort or aggregate expenditures for the second preceding fiscal year.
- ``(b) Reduction in Case of Failure To Meet.--
- ``(1) In general.--The State educational agency shall reduce the amount of the allocation of funds under a covered program in any fiscal year in the exact proportion to which a local educational agency fails to meet the requirement of subsection (a) by falling below 90 percent of both the combined fiscal effort per student and aggregate expenditures (using the measure most favorable to such local agency).
- ``(2) Special rule.--No such lesser amount shall be used for computing the effort required under subsection (a) for subsequent years.
- ``(c) Waiver.--The Secretary may waive the requirements of this section if the Secretary determines that such a waiver would be equitable due to--
- ``(1) exceptional or uncontrollable circumstances such as a natural disaster; or
- ``(2) a precipitous decline in the financial resources of the local educational agency.
SEC. 14502. PROHIBITION REGARDING STATE AID.