A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART C--EISENHOWER REGIONAL MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE EDUCATION CONSORTIA
``SEC. 13301. PROGRAM ESTABLISHED.
- ``(a) In General.--
- ``(1) Grants authorized.--The Secretary, in consultation with the Director of the National Science Foundation, is authorized to award grants or contracts to eligible entities to enable such entities to establish and operate regional mathematics and science education consortia for the purpose of--
- ``(A) disseminating exemplary mathematics and science education instructional materials; and
- ``(B) providing technical assistance for the implementation of teaching methods and assessment tools for use by elementary and secondary school students, teachers and administrators.
- ``(2) Number.--The Secretary, in accordance with the provisions of this section, shall award at least one grant or contract to an eligible entity in each region.
- ``(3) Special rule.--In any fiscal year, if the amount made available pursuant to section 13308 is less than $4,500,000, then the Secretary may waive the provisions of paragraph (2) and award grants or contracts of sufficient size, scope, and quality to carry out this section.
- ``(4) Designation.--Each regional consortium assisted under this section shall be known as an `Eisenhower regional consortium'.
- ``(b) Grant Term and Review.--Grants or contracts under this part shall be awarded for a period of not more than five years and shall be reviewed before the end of the 30-month period beginning on the date the grant or contract is awarded. Grants or contracts under this part shall be awarded before the end of the 12-month period beginning on the date of the enactment of an Act making appropriations to carry out this part.
- ``(c) Amount.--In awarding grants or contracts under this part, the Secretary shall ensure that there is a relatively equal distribution of the funds made available among the regions, except that the Secretary may award additional funds to a regional consortium on the basis of population and geographical conditions of the region being served.
SEC. 13202. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
SEC. 13302. USE OF FUNDS.