A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``PART B--NATIONAL DIFFUSION NETWORK
``SEC. 13201. PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
- ``(a) Authority.--
- ``(1) In general.--In order to implement the purposes of this title, the Secretary is authorized to establish the National Diffusion Network (hereafter referred to in this Act as `NDN') to carry out a State-based outreach, consultation, training, and dissemination program.
- ``(2) Program requirements.--In carrying out the program under this part, the Secretary shall award grants and contracts to National Diffusion Network State Facilitators in each State and outlying area, and to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, in order to assist State and local educational agencies, schools, and other appropriate educational entities--
- ``(A) to identify and secure appropriate, high-quality technical assistance from the comprehensive regional assistance centers under part A and other sources; and
- ``(B) to identify and implement exemplary or promising educational programs and practices.
- ``(b) Eligible Entities.--The Secretary shall award grants and contracts under this section to public or private nonprofit organizations or institutions with demonstrated expertise in the areas of applied education research and program dissemination.
- ``(c) Administration.--The program under this part shall be administered through the Office of Reform Assistance and Dissemination established under section 941(b) of the Educational Research, Development, Dissemination, and Improvement Act of 1994.
- ``(d) Coordination.--The National Diffusion Network State Facilitators shall work in close cooperation, and coordinate their activities, with the comprehensive regional assistance centers established under part A.
- ``(e) State Facilitator Activities.--The National Diffusion Network State Facilitators shall provide professional development and technical assistance services to assist State educational agencies, local educational agencies, tribal divisions of education, schools, family and adult literacy programs, and other entities assisted under this Act, in--
- ``(1) defining such entities' technical assistance needs and aligning such needs with school reform under title I, professional development, and technology plans;
- ``(2) securing the technical assistance and professional development services that can best fulfill such needs by utilizing the services of the comprehensive regional assistance centers, the regional education laboratories, the Eisenhower regional consortia, State Literacy Resource Centers authorized under the National Literacy Act of 1991 and other technical assistance providers, including local providers of professional development services;
- ``(3) identifying educational technology needs and securing the necessary technical assistance to address such needs in coordination with the Eisenhower regional consortia under part C and the regional technical assistance and professional development consortia under subpart 3 of title III; and
- ``(4) utilizing technology, including regional and national electronic networks, to increase such entities' access to technical assistance, professional development services, and dissemination of effective programs and promising practices.
- ``(f) Additional Duties.--In addition, National Diffusion ?Network State Facilitators shall--
- ``(1) disseminate information about school reform and effective and promising practices, and help local educational ?agencies and schools adapt such reform and practices to such agencies' needs;
- ``(2) identify educational programs and practices for possible dissemination throughout the State and Nation;
- ``(3) promote and facilitate teacher networks throughout the State;
- ``(4) develop and implement an aggressive outreach plan for reaching the local educational agencies and schools receiving priority under section 13401; and
- ``(5) provide such other outreach, coordination, and dissemination services as may be necessary to achieve the purposes of this title.
- ``(g) National Diffusion Network Effective Programs and Promising Practices System.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary shall develop a system of validating effective programs and promising practices for dissemination through the National Diffusion Network. Such system may include exemplary programs funded through any office of the Department, the National Science Foundation, or other Federal agencies and shall be coordinated, aligned with, and administered by, the Office of Reform Assistance and Dissemination established under section 941(b) of the ?Educational Research, Development, Dissemination, and Improvement Act of 1994.
- ``(2) Priority.--The Secretary shall give priority to identifying, validating, and disseminating effective schoolwide projects, programs addressing the needs of high poverty schools, and programs with the capacity to offer high-quality, sustained technical assistance. The Office of Educational Research and Improvement Office of Reform Assistance and Dissemination shall also administer a grant program for the purpose of dissemination and the provision of technical assistance regarding such system.
- ``(3) Priority of services.--The National Diffusion Network State Facilitators shall give priority in providing the services described in this section to--
- ``(A) schoolwide program under section 1114; and
- ``(B) local educational agencies and Bureau-funded schools with the highest percentages or numbers of children in poverty.
SEC. 13105. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
SEC. 13202. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.