A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 1308. COORDINATION OF MIGRANT EDUCATION ACTIVITIES.
- ``(a) Improvement of Coordination.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary, in consultation with the States, may make grants to, or enter into contracts with, State educational agencies, local educational agencies, institutions of higher education, and other public and private nonprofit entities to improve the interstate and intrastate coordination among such agencies' educational programs, including the establishment or improvement of programs for credit accrual and exchange, available to migratory students.
- ``(2) Duration.--Grants under this subpart may be awarded for not more than five years.
- ``(b) Assistance and Reporting.--
- ``(1) Student records.--
- ``(A) The Secretary shall solicit information on how student records are transferred from one school to another and shall solicit recommendations on whether new procedures and technologies for record transfer should be employed to better meet the needs of the migrant population.
- ``(B) The Secretary shall also seek recommendations on the most effective means for determining the number of students or full-time equivalent students in each State for the purpose of allocating funds under this part.
- ``(2) Report to congress.--
- ``(A) Not later than April 30, 1995, the Secretary shall report to the Committee on Labor and Human Resources of the Senate and the Committee on Education and Labor of the House of Representatives the Secretary's findings and recommendations, and shall include in this report, recommendations for interim measures that may be taken to ensure continuity of services in this program.
- ``(B) The Secretary shall assist States in developing effective methods for the transfer of student records and in determining the number of students or full-time equivalent students in each State if such interim measures are required.
- ``(c) Availability of Funds.--For the purpose of carrying out this section in any fiscal year, the Secretary shall reserve not more than $6,000,000 of the amount appropriated to carry out this part for such year.
- ``(d) Incentive Grants.--
- ``(1) In general.--From the amounts made available to carry out this section, the Secretary shall reserve not more than $1,500,000 to award, on a competitive basis, grants in the amount of not more than $250,000 to State educational agencies with consortium agreements under section 1303(d).
- ``(2) Limitation.--Not less than 10 of such grants shall be awarded to States which receive allocations of less than $1,000,000 if such States have approved agreements.
SEC. 1307. BYPASS.
SEC. 1309. DEFINITIONS.