A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 1304. STATE APPLICATIONS; SERVICES.
- ``(a) Application Required.--Any State desiring to receive a grant under this part for any fiscal year shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time and in such manner as the Secretary may require.
- ``(b) Program Information.--Each such application shall include--
- ``(1) a description of how, in planning, implementing, and evaluating programs and projects assisted under this part, the State and its local operating agencies will ensure that the special educational needs of migratory children, including preschool migratory children, are identified and addressed through a comprehensive plan for needs assessment and service delivery that meets the requirements of section 1306;
- ``(2) a description of the steps the State is taking to provide all migratory students with the opportunity to meet the same challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards that all children are expected to meet;
- ``(3) a description of how the State will use funds received under this part to promote interstate and intrastate coordination of services for migratory children, including how, consistent with procedures the Secretary may require, the State will provide for educational continuity through the timely transfer of pertinent school records, including information on health, when children move from one school to another, whether or not such move occurs during the regular school year;
- ``(4) a description of the State's priorities for the use of funds received under this part, and how such priorities relate to the State's assessment of needs for services in the State;
- ``(5) a description of how the State will determine the amount of any subgrants the State will award to local operating agencies, taking into account the requirements of paragraph (1); and
- ``(6) such budgetary and other information as the Secretary may require.
- ``(c) Assurances.--Each such application shall also include assurances, satisfactory to the Secretary, that--
- ``(1) funds received under this part will be used only--
- ``(A) for programs and projects, including the acquisition of equipment, in accordance with section 1306(b)(1); and
- ``(B) to coordinate such programs and projects with similar programs and projects within the State and in other States, as well as with other Federal programs that can benefit migratory children and their families;
- ``(2) such programs and projects will be carried out in a manner consistent with the objectives of section 1114, subsections (b) and (d) of section 1115, section 1120, and subsections (b) and (c) of section 1120A, and part F;
- ``(3) in the planning and operation of programs and projects at both the State and local operating agency level, there is appropriate consultation with parent advisory councils for programs of one school year in duration, and that all such programs and projects are carried out, to the extent feasible, in a manner consistent with section 1118;
- ``(4) in planning and carrying out such programs and projects, there has been, and will be, adequate provision for addressing the unmet education needs of preschool migratory children;
- ``(5) the effectiveness of such programs and projects will be determined, where feasible, using the same approaches and standards that will be used to assess the performance of students, schools, and local educational agencies under part A;
- ``(6) to the extent feasible, such programs and projects will provide for--
- ``(A) advocacy and outreach activities for migratory children and their families, including informing such children and families of, or helping such children and families gain access to, other education, health, nutrition, and social services;
- ``(B) professional development programs, including mentoring, for teachers and other program personnel;
- ``(C) family literacy programs, including such programs that use models developed under Even Start;
- ``(D) the integration of information technology into educational and related programs; and
- ``(E) programs to facilitate the transition of secondary school students to postsecondary education or employment; and
- ``(7) the State will assist the Secretary in determining the number of migratory children under section 1303(e), through such procedures as the Secretary may require.
- ``(d) Priority for Services.--In providing services with funds received under this part, each recipient of such funds shall give priority to migratory children who are failing, or most at risk of failing, to meet the State's challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards, and whose education has been interrupted during the regular school year.
- ``(e) Continuation of Services.--Notwithstanding any other provision of this part--
- ``(1) a child who ceases to be a migratory child during a school term shall be eligible for services until the end of such term;
- ``(2) a child who is no longer a migratory child may continue to receive services for one additional school year, but only if comparable services are not available through other programs; and
- ``(3) secondary school students who were eligible for services in secondary school may continue to be served through credit accrual programs until graduation.
SEC. 1303. STATE ALLOCATIONS.
SEC. 1305. SECRETARIAL APPROVAL; PEER REVIEW.