A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``TITLE XIII--SUPPORT AND ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS TO IMPROVE EDUCATION
``SEC. 13001. FINDINGS.
- ``The Congress finds that--
- ``(1) high-quality technical assistance can enhance the improvements in teaching and learning achieved through the implementation of programs under this Act;
- ``(2) comprehensive technical assistance and effective program dissemination are essential ingredients of the overall strategy of the Improving America's Schools Act of 1994 to improve programs and provide all children opportunities to meet challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards;
- ``(3) States, local educational agencies, tribes, and schools serving students with special needs, such as students with limited-English proficiency and students with disabilities, have great need for comprehensive technical assistance in order to use funds under this Act to provide such students with opportunities to learn to challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards;
- ``(4) current technical assistance and dissemination efforts are fragmented and categorical in nature, and thus fail to address adequately the needs of States, local educational agencies and tribes for help in integrating into a coherent strategy for improving teaching and learning the various programs under this Act with State and local programs and other education reform efforts;
- ``(5) too little creative use is made of technology as a means of providing information and assistance in a cost-effective way;
- ``(6) comprehensive technical assistance can help schools and school systems focus on improving opportunities for all children to meet challenging State content standards and challenging State student performance standards, as such schools and systems implement programs under this Act;
- ``(7) comprehensive technical assistance will provide coordinated assistance to help States, local educational agencies, tribes, participating colleges and universities, and schools integrate Federal, State, and local education programs in ways that contribute to improving schools and entire school systems;
- ``(8) technical assistance in support of programs under this Act should be coordinated with the Department's regional offices, the regional educational laboratories, State Literacy Resource Centers, vocational resource centers, and other technical assistance efforts supported by the Department; and
- ``(9) technical assistance providers should prioritize assistance for local educational agencies and schools.
SEC. 12013. AUTHORIZATION.
SEC. 13002. PURPOSE.