A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 12005. AWARD OF GRANTS.
- ``(a) Criteria.--The Secretary shall award grants under this title on the basis of--
- ``(1) high numbers or percentages of the total number of children aged 5 to 17, inclusive, residing in the geographic area served by an eligible local educational agency who are counted under subpart 2 of part A of title I;
- ``(2) the extent to which the eligible local educational agency lacks the fiscal capacity, including the ability to raise funds through the full use of such agency's bonding capacity and otherwise, to undertake the project without Federal assistance;
- ``(3) the threat of the condition of the physical plant poses to the safety and well-being of students;
- ``(4) the demonstrated need for the construction, reconstruction, or renovation based on the condition of the facility;
- ``(5) the age of the facility to be renovated or replaced; and
- ``(6) such other criteria as the Secretary may prescribe by regulation.
- ``(b) Allocation Among Categories.--The Secretary shall allocate funds under this title among each of the categories described in paragraph (1) on such basis as the Secretary determines is appropriate, including--
- ``(1) the relative numbers or percentages of students counted under subpart 2 of part A of title I; and
- ``(2) the relative costs of carrying out activities under this title in eligible local educational agencies in each such category.
- ``(c) Frequency of Awards.--No local educational agency may receive more than one grant under this title in any five-year period.
- ``(d) Special Rule.--The Secretary shall only award grants under this title if the Secretary determines that sufficient funds will be provided under this title or from other sources, such as the issuance of bonds, or savings generated from performance contracting, to carry out the activities for which assistance is sought.
SEC. 12004. IMPROVEMENT OF PUBLIC ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION FACILITIES PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
SEC. 12006. APPLICATIONS.