A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 12002. FINDINGS.
- ``The Congress finds the following:
- ``(1) According to a 1991 survey conducted by the American Association of School Administrators, 74 percent of all public school buildings in the United States need to be replaced.
- ``(2) Almost one-third of such buildings were built prior to World War II.
- ``(3) It is estimated that one of every four public school buildings in the United States is in inadequate condition, and of such buildings, 61 percent need maintenance or major repairs, 43 percent are obsolete, 42 percent contain environmental hazards, 25 percent are overcrowded, and 13 percent are structurally unsound.
- ``(4) Large numbers of local educational agencies have difficulties securing financing for school facility improvement, including school libraries, media centers, and facilities.
- ``(5) Improving the quality of public elementary and secondary schools will help our Nation meet the National Education Goals.
- ``(6) The challenges facing our Nation's public elementary and secondary schools require the concerted and collaborative efforts of all levels of government and all sectors of the community.
TITLE XII--SCHOOL FACILITIES INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENT ACT
SEC. 12003. PURPOSE.