A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10902. FINDINGS.
- ``The Congress finds that--
- ``(1) a local public school often serves as a center for the delivery of education and human resources for all members of a community;
- ``(2) public schools, primarily in rural and inner city communities, should collaborate with other public and nonprofit agencies and organizations, local businesses, educational entities (such as vocational and adult education programs, school-to-work programs, community colleges, and universities), recreational, cultural, and other community and human service entities, for the purpose of meeting the needs of, and expanding the opportunities available to, the residents of the communities served by such schools;
- ``(3) by using school facilities, equipment, and resources, communities can promote a more efficient use of public education facilities, especially in rural and inner city areas where limited financial resources have enhanced the necessity for local public schools to become social service centers;
- ``(4) the high technology, global economy of the 21st century will require lifelong learning to keep America's workforce competitive and successful, and local public schools should provide centers for lifelong learning and educational opportunities for individuals of all ages; and
- ``(5) 21st Century Community Learning Centers enable the entire community to develop an education strategy that addresses the educational needs of all members of local communities.
PART I--21ST CENTURY COMMUNITY LEARNING CENTERS
SEC. 10903. PROGRAM AUTHORIZATION.