A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10413. AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES.
- ``(a) In General.--Grants awarded under this subpart may be used--
- ``(1) to plan, develop, acquire, expand, and improve school-based or community-based coordinated educational and cultural programs to strengthen the educational performance and future potential of in-school or out-of-school at-risk children and youth through grants, cooperative agreements, contracts for services, or administrative coordination;
- ``(2) to provide at-risk students with integrated cultural activities designed to develop a love of learning that fosters the smooth transition of preschool children to elementary school;
- ``(3) to design collaborative cultural activities for students in secondary or alternative schools that ensure the smooth transition to job training, higher education, or full employment;
- ``(4) to provide child care for children of at-risk students who would not otherwise be able to participate in the program;
- ``(5) to provide transportation necessary for participation in the program;
- ``(6) to work with existing school personnel to develop curriculum materials and programs in the arts;
- ``(7) to work with existing school personnel on staff development activities that encourage the integration of the arts into the curriculum;
- ``(8) for stipends that allow local artists to work with at-risk children and youth in schools;
- ``(9) for training individuals who are not trained to work with children and youth;
- ``(10) for cultural programs that encourage the active participation of parents in the education of their children;
- ``(11) for programs that use the arts and culture to reform current school practices, including lengthening the school day or academic year;
- ``(12) for equipment or supplies that the Secretary determines appropriate; and
- ``(13) for evaluation, administration, and supervision.
- ``(b) Planning Grants.--
- ``(1) Application.--An eligible entity may submit an application to the Secretary for a planning grant for an amount not to exceed $50,000. Such grants shall be for periods of not more than one year.
- ``(2) Limit on planning grants.--Not more than 10 percent of the amounts appropriated in each fiscal year under this subpart shall be used for grants under this subsection, and an eligible entity may receive not more than one such planning grant.
- ``(c) General Provisions.--
- ``(1) In general.--Each eligible entity desiring a grant under this subpart shall submit an application to the Secretary at such time, in such manner, and accompanied by such information as the Secretary may reasonably require.
- ``(2) Contents.--Each application submitted pursuant to paragraph (1) shall--
- ``(A) describe the cultural entity or entities that will participate in the partnership;
- ``(B) describe the target population to be served;
- ``(C) describe the services to be provided;
- ``(D) describe a plan for evaluating the success of the program;
- ``(E) in the case of each local educational agency or school participating in the eligible recipient partnership, describe how the activities assisted under this subpart will be perpetuated beyond the duration of the grant;
- ``(F) describe the manner in which the eligible entity will improve the educational achievement or future potential of at-risk youth through more effective coordination of cultural services in the community;
- ``(G) describe the overall and operational goals of the program;
- ``(H) describe the nature and location of all planned sites where services will be delivered and a description of services which will be provided at each site; and
- ``(I) describe training that will be provided to individuals who are not trained to work with children and youth, and how teachers will be involved.
SEC. 10412. PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
SEC. 10414. PAYMENTS; AMOUNTS OF AWARD; COST SHARE; LIMITATIONS.