A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10412. PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
- ``(a) In General.--The Secretary is authorized to award grants to eligible entities to pay the Federal share of the costs of the activities described in section 10413.
- ``(b) Special Requirements.--
- ``(1) In general.--The Secretary shall award grants under this subpart only to programs designed to--
- ``(A) promote and enhance educational and cultural activities;
- ``(B) provide multi-year services to at-risk children and youth and to integrate community cultural resources into in-school and after-school educational programs;
- ``(C) provide integration of community cultural resources into the regular curriculum and school day;
- ``(D) focus school and cultural resources in the community on coordinated cultural services to address the needs of at-risk children and youth;
- ``(E) provide effective cultural programs to facilitate the transition from preschool programs to elementary school programs, including programs under the Head Start Act and part H of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
- ``(F) facilitate school-to-work transition from secondary schools and alternative schools to job training, higher education and employment through educational programs and activities that utilize school resources;
- ``(G) increase parental and community involvement in the educational, social, and cultural development of at-risk children and youth; or
- ``(i) develop programs and strategies that provide high-quality coordinated educational and cultural services; and
- ``(ii) provide a model to replicate such services in other schools and communities.
- ``(2) Partnership.--An interagency partnership comprised of the Secretary of Education, the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Director of the Institute of Museum Services, or their designees, shall establish criteria and procedures for awarding grants, including the establishment of panels to review the applications, and shall administer the grants program authorized by this section. The Secretary shall publish such criteria and procedures in the Federal Register.
- ``(3) Coordination.--Grants may only be awarded under this subpart to eligible entities that agree to coordinate activities carried out under other Federal, State, and local grants, received by the members of the partnership for purposes and target populations described in this subpart, into an integrated service delivery system located at a school, cultural, or other community-based site accessible to and utilized by at-risk youth.
- ``(4) Eligible entities.--For purposes of this subpart, the term `eligible entity' means a partnership between--
- ``(A) a local educational agency or an individual school that is eligible to participate in a schoolwide program under section 1114; and
- ``(B) at least one institution of higher education, museum, local arts agency, or cultural entity that is accessible to individuals within the school district of such local educational agency or school, and that has a history of providing quality services to the community, which may include--
- ``(i) nonprofit institutions of higher education, museums, libraries, performing, presenting and exhibiting arts organizations, literary arts organizations, State and local arts organizations, cultural institutions, and zoological and botanical organizations; or
- ``(ii) private for-profit entities with a history of training children and youth in the arts.
- ``(5) Geographic distribution.--In awarding grants under this subpart the Secretary, to the extent feasible, shall ensure an equitable geographic distribution of such grants.
- ``(6) Duration.--Grants made under this subpart may be renewable for a maximum of five years if the Secretary determines that the eligible recipient has made satisfactory progress toward the achievement of the program objectives described in the application.
- ``(7) Models.--The Secretary, in consultation with the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts and the Director of the Institute of Museum Services, or their designees, shall submit successful models under this title to the National Diffusion Network for review.
- ``(c) Target Population.--To be eligible for a grant under this subpart, an eligible entity shall serve--
- ``(1) students enrolled in schools participating in a schoolwide program under section 1114 and the families of such students to the extent practicable;
- ``(2) out-of-school children and youth at risk of disadvantages resulting from teenage parenting, substance abuse, recent migration, disability, limited-English proficiency, illiteracy, being the child of a teenage parent, living in a single parent household, or dropping out of school; or
- ``(3) any combination of in-school and out-of-school at-risk children and youth.
Subpart 2--Cultural Partnerships for At-Risk Children and Youth
SEC. 10413. AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES.