A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10306. DEFINITIONS.
- ``As used in this part:
- ``(1) The term `charter school' means a public school that--
- ``(A) in accordance with an enabling State statute, is exempted from significant State or local rules that inhibit the flexible operation and management of public schools, but not from any rules relating to the other requirements of this paragraph;
- ``(B) is created by a developer as a public school, or is adapted by a developer from an existing public school, and is operated under public supervision and direction;
- ``(C) operates in pursuit of a specific set of educational objectives determined by the school's developer and agreed to by the authorized public chartering agency;
- ``(D) provides a program of elementary or secondary education, or both;
- ``(E) is nonsectarian in its programs, admissions policies, employment practices, and all other operations, and is not affiliated with a sectarian school or religious institution;
- ``(F) does not charge tuition;
- ``(G) complies with the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
- ``(H) admits students on the basis of a lottery, if more students apply for admission than can be accommodated;
- ``(I) agrees to comply with the same Federal and State audit requirements as do other elementary and secondary schools in the State, unless such requirements are specifically waived for the purpose of this program;
- ``(J) meets all applicable Federal, State, and local health and safety requirements; and
- ``(K) operates in accordance with State law.
- ``(2) The term `developer' means an individual or group of individuals (including a public or private nonprofit organization), which may include teachers, administrators and other school staff, parents, or other members of the local community in which a charter school project will be carried out.
- ``(3) The term `eligible applicant' means an authorized public chartering agency participating in a partnership with a developer to establish a charter school in accordance with this part.
- ``(4) The term `authorized public chartering agency' means a State educational agency, local educational agency, or other public entity that has the authority pursuant to State law and approved by the Secretary to authorize or approve a charter school.