A r c h
i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10302. PROGRAM AUTHORIZED.
- ``(a) In General.--The Secretary may award grants to State educational agencies having applications approved pursuant to section 10303 to enable such agencies to conduct a charter school grant program in accordance with this part.
- ``(b) Special Rule.--If a State educational agency elects not to participate in the program authorized by this part or does not have an application approved under section 10303, the Secretary may award a grant to an eligible applicant that serves such State and has an application approved pursuant to section 10303(c).
- ``(c) Program Periods.--
- ``(1) Grants to states.--Grants awarded to State educational agencies under this part shall be awarded for a period of not more than 3 years.
- ``(2) Grants to eligible applicants.--Grants awarded by the Secretary to eligible applicants or subgrants awarded by State educational agencies to eligible applicants under this part shall be awarded for a period of not more than 3 years, of which the eligible applicant may use--
- ``(A) not more than 18 months for planning and program design; and
- ``(B) not more than 2 years for the initial implementation of a charter school.
- ``(d) Limitation.--The Secretary shall not award more than one grant and State educational agencies shall not award more than one subgrant under this part to support a particular charter school.
PART C--PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS
SEC. 10303. APPLICATIONS.