A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10106. NATIONAL STUDENT AND PARENT MOCK ELECTION.
- ``(a) In General.--The Secretary is authorized to award grants to national nonprofit, nonpartisan organizations that work to promote voter participation in American elections to enable such organizations to carry out voter education activities for students and their parents. Such activities shall--
- ``(1) be limited to simulated national elections that permit participation by students and parents from all 50 States in the United States; and
- ``(2) consist of--
- ``(A) school forums and local cable call-in shows on the national issues to be voted upon in an `issue forum';
- ``(B) speeches and debates before students and parents by local candidates or stand-ins for such candidates;
- ``(C) quiz team competitions, mock press conferences and speechwriting competitions;
- ``(D) weekly meetings to follow the course of the campaign; or
- ``(E) school and neighborhood campaigns to increase voter turnout, including newsletters, posters, telephone chains, and transportation.
- ``(b) Requirement.--Each organization receiving a grant under this section shall present awards to outstanding student and parent mock election projects.
SEC. 10105. SMALLER LEARNING COMMUNITIES.
SEC. 10107. MODEL PROJECTS.