A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
``SEC. 10104. PROMOTING SCHOLAR-ATHLETE COMPETITIONS.
- ``(a) In General.--The Secretary is authorized to award a grant to a nonprofit organization to reimburse such organizations for the costs of conducting scholar-athlete games to be held in 1995.
- ``(b) Priority.--In awarding the grant under subsection (a), the Secretary shall give priority to a nonprofit organization that--
- ``(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of, and exempt from taxation under section 501(a) of, the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, and is affiliated with a university capable of hosting a large educational, cultural, and athletic event that will serve as a national model;
- ``(2) has the capability and experience in administering federally funded scholar-athlete games;
- ``(3) has the ability to provide matching funds, on a dollar-for-dollar basis, from foundations and the private sector for the purpose of conducting a scholar-athlete program;
- ``(4) has the organizational structure and capability to administer a model scholar-athlete program in the summer of 1995;
- ``(5) has the organizational structure and expertise to replicate the scholar-athlete program in various venues throughout the United States in 1996 and thereafter, as well as replicate such program internationally; and
- ``(6) has plans for conducting scholar-athlete games after 1995 without Federal assistance.