Early Reading and Scientifically-Based Research
Title I Directors' Conference
Text (slide 53):
High-quality Professional Development includes activities that:
Instruct teachers on how to use data and assessments to inform and instruct their classroom practice.
Having information about children's progress helps teachers plan their teaching, and can help teachers identify children who need special help.
Teachers can monitor children's progress by:
- Observing them in daily activities and interactions.
- Collecting samples of their drawings, paintings, and writing.
- Keeping notes about what they say and do.
- Encouraging them to talk about their own progress.
- Using valid screening tools.
- Talking with parents and caregivers about children's progress.