A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
Mathematics and Science Partnerships - Scientifically Based Research in Mathematics
Student Achievement and School Accountability Conference
Text (slide 18):
Scientifically Based Research and Effective Mathematics Instruction (cont.)
- In particular--
- Instruction should support the development of mathematical proficiency for all
- Instructional materials should incorporate the five strands
- Assessments should contribute to the goal of mathematical proficiency
- Teachers should have the support that will enable them to teach all students to be mathematically proficient
- Efforts to achieve mathematical proficiency for all students must be coordinated, comprehensive, and informed by scientific evidence.
- Proficiency cannot be achieved through piecemeal or isolated efforts. Parents, teachers, administrators and policy makers must work to together to improve school mathematics.