A r c h i v e d I n f o r m a t i o n
Mathematics and Science Partnerships - Scientifically Based Research in Mathematics
Student Achievement and School Accountability Conference
Text (slide 17):
Scientifically Based Research and Effective Mathematics Instruction
- All students can and should be proficient in mathematics.
- Mathematical proficiency has five intertwined strands:
- Understanding mathematics
- Computing fluently
- Applying concepts to solve problems
- Reasoning logically
- Engaging with mathematics - seeing it as sensible, useful and doable.
- For all students to become mathematically proficient, major changes must be made in instruction, instructional materials, assessments, teacher education, and the broader educational system.