"On his first day in office, the President sent a memo directing all federal agencies to create unprecedented levels of openness in government. The team at the U.S. Department of Education took it to heart." Message from Deputy Secretary Tony Miller
Our Open Government plan looks at our efforts to be more transparent, participatory, and collaborative during the first 16 months of the Obama Administration. More important, the plan describes how we intend to build on and improve those efforts.
Read a March 15, 2011, blog post in celebration of Sunshine Week.
Overview of the Plan
Sections of the Plan
- Transparency, Participation, and Collaboration in ED Programs
- Strategic Action Plan for Open Government
- Roadmap for Incorporating Principles of Openness into Core Agency Missions
- Race to the Top
- Draft National Education Technology Plan
- ED Data Express (Flagship Initiative, Transparency)
- Open Innovation Web Portal (Flagship Initiative, Collaboration)
- Participation and Collaboration
- Improving Internal Processes
Evaluating Our Progress
Open Government Links
Customer Service Plan
The Department's Customer Service Plan is designed to improve the delivery of services to our customers by redesigning the business processes and systems that impact key customer interactions.
- Customer Service Plan [PDF, 517KB]
Digital Government Strategy
- Digital Government Strategy
PDF (680K) | HTML5
- ED Digital Government Strategy Report
HTML | MS Word (33K) | PDF (49K) | JSON (16K) | XML (29K)