Preparing America's Future:
The Secretary's High School Initiative
Student Engagement and Options | Teaching and Leadership
Accelerated Transitions | Key Links
High School Leadership Summit Issue Papers
These issue papers use the framework of No Child Left Behind to promote a national dialogue on transforming high schools. They set out the challenges facing high schools and suggest courses of action for states, schools, educators and community leaders.
- Cover Page
- Title Page and Disclaimer MS WORD (78K) | PDF (210K)
- High Schools with High Expectations for All
When students are held to rigorous standards, they can achieve at high levels.
MS WORD (393K) | PDF (74K)
- No Child Left Behind: Transforming America's High School Schools
NCLB's focus on closing the achievement gap, putting high quality teachers in every classroom and empowering parents can transform high schools as well as elementary schools.
MS WORD (248K) | PDF (50K)
- The Economic Imperative for Improving Education
The economic health of both individuals and the nation resides in a well-educated, highly-skilled populace.
MS WORD (1.1 MB) | PDF (279K)
- From There to Here: The Road to Reform of American High Schools
The American high school system has evolved from one focused on educating elites to one focused on educating all students to high standards. MS WORD (612K) | PDF (151K)
- High School Accountability and Assessment Systems
States and school districts need high-quality assessments aligned with standards if they are to accurately gauge student achievement. MS WORD (275K) | PDF (50K)
- Turning Around Low-Performing High Schools
There are innovative, proven methods for turning around the nation's most troubled high schools.
MS WORD (262K) | PDF (47K)
- Every Young American a Strong Reader
Improving adolescent literacy is a key focus of the Secretary's High School Initiative.
MS WORD (256K) | PDF(58K)
- Charting a New Course for Career and Technical Education
CTE programs can encompass high academic achievement and preparation for postsecondary education and training.
MS WORD (279K) | PDF(65K)
- Dual Enrollment: Accelerating the Transition to College
Students can take rigorous courses and earn college credit while still in high school under dual enrollment programs.
MS WORD (259K) | PDF(47K)
- College Transition Programs: Promoting Success Beyond High School
Many students lack the knowledge or skills to move easily from high school to college, but transition programs can fill that gap. MS WORD (280K) | PDF (54K)