Fact Sheet Series 2004 - Adult Basic and Literacy Education
The OVAE Fact Sheet Series highlights efforts currently underway at the Office of Vocational and Adult Education (OVAE) to support the principles of the President's No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. The principle(s) supported by this effort are:
- Increase Accountability and Academic Achievement
- Focus on What Works
The Workforce Investment Act, among a variety of other legislation, requires a means for measuring the effectiveness of adult education programs. The Office of Vocational and Adult Education established the National Reporting System for Adult Education (NRS) for exactly that purpose.
NRS measures the effectiveness of state-administered, federally funded adult education programs. The national accountability system identifies measures for national reporting and their definitions, establishes methods for data collection, develops software standards for reporting, and develops training materials and activities on requirements and procedures. The NRS will improve the accountability of the adult education program by documenting its ability to meet federal policy and programmatic goals. The NRS project is being managed by the American Institutes for Research.
Outcomes and Products
- Web-based guides and training materials on data quality and using data collected through the NRS
- Analysis of state performance data
- Workshop series for state officials on data quality
- Data quality standards for the collection and reporting of program data.
FY 2000 to FY 2004